Colin Wing, 60, said he was ashamed of his behaviour and had lost his job and his season ticket – but insisted he called Sterling a “MANC c**t”, not “black c**t”
The Chelsea fan at the centre of the Raheem Sterling race storm has been named.
The Blues yesterday suspended four people from attending matches as police investigate the alleged racial abuse during Man City’s 2-0 loss at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
Chelsea said it was “fully supporting” an ongoing police investigation and a statement said evidence of racist behaviour will result in “severe sanctions, including bans”.
But now a fan seen shouting at Sterling during the televised game has broken his silence to apologise – but claims he did NOT use a racial slur.
Colin Wing, 60, told the Daily Mail: “I’m deeply ashamed by my own behaviour and I feel really bad.
“But I didn’t call him a black ****, I called him a Manc c***.”
Mr Wing added that he had lost his job and said he was one of the four fans whose season ticket had been suspended.
He added: “I was completely out of order, but I’ve lost my job and my season ticket now so everybody’s got what they wanted. So why can’t they leave me alone?”
Footage showed a group of home fans shouting at Sterling as he retrieved the ball for a corner, with one allegedly calling the forward a ‘black c***’.
The club viewed the footage from a variety of angles and used lip-readers to try and confirm the exact words spoken.
The incident involving the 24-year-old England international occurred during City’s 2-0 Premier League defeat at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.
A statement from the club read: “Our investigations into this matter are ongoing. We are fully supporting the police investigation and any information we gather will be passed on to them.
“Chelsea Football Club finds all forms of discriminatory behaviour abhorrent and if there is evidence of ticket holders taking part in any racist behaviour, the club will issue severe sanctions, including bans.
Manchester City welcomed Chelsea’s decision to issue suspensions after footage of the star allegedly being racially abused by a Chelsea fan was circulated on social media.
A club statement said: “The club and Raheem are fully engaged with Chelsea FC and the investigating authorities as they continue to examine the events in question.
“Manchester City and Raheem are committed to working with all relevant parties and organisations to support the objective of eradicating racism from the game.”