he Canary Islands have long been a firm favourite with British holidaymakers.
After all, they offer up heaps of sun, sea and sand, alongside family-friendly resorts, heaps of attractions and theme parks, and plenty of brilliant beachfront hotels.
But because the likes of Tenerife, Lanzarote and Fuerteventura are so popular, trying to pick which one is right for your holiday can be a little overwhelming.
To help out, we’ve done the leg work and created a handy guide to the islands including which type of holiday they’re best suited to, whether you’re after a family holiday, romantic getaway or heaps of adventure.
Check out our guide below…
BEST FOR: Families, beach holidays
Tenerife is a classic family holiday destination.
After all it boasts heaps of family-friendly resorts , including a newly opened fairytale themed hotel , and there are plenty of fun things to do with the kids from water parks to whale watching.
Then there are the breathtaking beaches, balmy temperatures, bustling promenades and some epic landscapes.
Want to find out more? Check out our Tenerife Holidays page for inspiration.
Where to find cheap Tenerife holidays:
- LoveHolidays has packages from £143pp and has low deposits of £25pp if you need to spread the cost of your trip.
- On the Beach offers holidays from £237.45pp based on two adults travelling but they also offer cheap packages for families.
BEST FOR: Activity holidays, families
Fuerteventura is ideal for those who like to spend a bit of time lazing on a beach, but also need days where the itinerary involves plenty of adventure.
The island offers up plenty of fun activities for thrill-seekers whether you’re taking a dune buggy tour of the rugged coast, taking a trip to the spectacular natural park, or going exploring the towns with their historic buildings and towers.
TripAdvisor has a handy round-up of the top things to do in Fuerteventura to use as a starting point.
Where to find cheap Fuerteventura holidays:
- TUI offers packages starting from £216pp and offers a wide array of holiday types from all-inclusive resorts to half board.
- Lastminute.com tends to be a good source for those after a flight and hotel package rather than an all-inclusive offering.
BEST FOR: Couples’ holidays, activity holidays
Couples looking for a luxury getaway that won’t break the bank could just find what they’re looking for in Lanzarote.
The island is home to plenty of swish hotels which are both family-friendly and offer adults-only spots so you can enjoy some downtime.
The picturesque marinas make for ideal date night spots, while adventurous couples can get their fill with the epic volcanic landscape and treks/excursions to be found.
Where to find cheap Lanzarote holidays:
- First Choice has a plethora of all-inclusive offerings with prices from £279pp.
- Thomas Cook can be a good source for adults-only holidays with packages from £348pp.
4. Gran Canaria
BEST FOR: Beach holidays, adventure holidays
If you’re after breathtaking beaches, Gran Canaria delivers with everything from picture-perfect golden sand shores to hidden coves and rugged coastline.
Then there’s bustling Las Palmas where you’ll find the bulk of the shops, restaurants and the vibrant nightlife.
For the more active, there are ample hiking trails, water sports offering – and the island is popular with those after a challenging road cycle too.
Where to find cheap Gran Canaria holidays:
- TravelSupermarket is handy if you’re flexible with your departure date as it shows you
alternativedays where you can get better value for your money.
- Jet2Holidays is ideal for families looking for a cheap break as it often hosts flash sales and discounts including the school holiday dates.
5. La Palma
BEST FOR: Hiking holidays, activity holidays
La Palma is a must visit for any intrepid explorer thanks to its rugged coastline, rocky summits and breathtaking, varied landscapes.
Don those hiking boots and follow some of the epic trails to be found, or take a guided walking tour to ensure you don’t miss the highlights.
Where to find cheap La Palma holidays:
- easyJet Holidays is a good source for cheap flight and hotel packages to the islands with prices going from £225pp.
- Expedia often hosts flash sales which can be useful if you’re keeping your eyes out for a last minute deal.
6. La Gomera
BEST FOR: Hiking holidays, couples’ holidays
Those wanting to escape the bustling crowds to be found on the more popular Canary Islands could find a little haven in La Gomera.
However if you’re planning to laze on a beach, this may not be the island for you; La Gomera is definitely one for the more active thanks to its rock formations, sprawling natural parks, hidden fortresses, and even the occasional golf course.
Where to find cheap La Gomera holidays:
- TUI has packages to La Gomera with prices from £304pp.
- Prestige holidays offers a series of resorts for golf and beach fans who also want to make the most of the island’s scenery.
7. El Hierro
BEST FOR: Activity holidays, water sports
The whole of this island is a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve so while you’ll find heaps of epic landscapes, natural landmarks and breathtaking treks, there aren’t any major resorts with hustle and bustle.
Instead El Hierro tends to have eco hotels and boutique offerings, or people opt to stay on other islands and do day trips instead.
Where to find cheap El Hierro holidays:
- Booking.com can be a good source for finding budget-friendly hotels.
- TripAdvisor has a handy round-up of the best El Hierro hotels.